The Lanterns leak Warner Bros tried to DMCA turned out to be right
Sunday’s premiere confirmed the Hal Jordan spoiler that got Cosmic Book News struck on four platforms. The same site is now reporting a Zack Snyder Dark Knight Returns, sourced to unnamed insiders.
Spoilers ahead for the Lanterns premiere.
Lanterns premiered on HBO and HBO Max on August 16, and it ended exactly the way a July leak said it would. Hal Jordan is dead on the bleachers in Rushville, Nebraska, bullet wound in his head, Green Lantern ring gone.
Five weeks earlier, Warner Bros. Discovery spent several days filing copyright takedown notices against the outlet that covered that leak.
Cosmic Book News got its X account locked, its YouTube video struck, and its Facebook page restricted. All over a plot detail that HBO put on television Sunday night.
What the leak actually claimed
Worth being precise here, because the leak is getting flattened into one big correct call, and it had three separate parts.
The Reddit post said the series runs across 2016 and 2026 timelines, that the Manhunters are the villains, and that Hal dies at the end of Episode 1.
The timeline structure was already public. Showrunner Chris Mundy confirmed the dual timelines to Entertainment Weekly back in May, which Cosmic Book News noted in its own writeup at the time.
The Manhunters got confirmed by Warner itself. The San Diego Comic-Con trailer in late July named them as the season’s antagonists, weeks after the takedowns went out.
Which leaves one genuine scoop in the batch. Hal dying in the premiere was the part nobody had, and it is the part that drew federal paperwork.
Mundy told IGN the decision “was kind of big and scary.” He’s right, and it works. Kyle Chandler keeps playing Hal in the 2016 timeline while the 2026 story turns his death and the missing ring into the season’s mystery.
The takedowns went out on four platforms
Cosmic Book News published its leak story on July 10, posted it to X, and cleared 74,000 views in a couple of hours before the image vanished and the account locked.
The notice X forwarded named the protected work as the first episode of Lanterns and described the harm as “people discussing the spoilers.” It came from HBO Max’s brand social team.
A second notice followed from Warner Bros. Discovery’s Content Protection division, this one designating the infringing material as text and identifying the protected content as a Season 1 Episode 1 spoiler. A studio filed a copyright claim on the existence of a plot point.
Enforcement vendor MarkScan struck the outlet’s YouTube channel over a 67-second commentary video. Facebook pulled the same video under a notice that named no rights holder at all.
The Streisand effect did what it does. A fan’s meme takedown had already convinced people the leak was real, and the strikes on the press coverage sealed it. YouTube restored the video after a counter-notification and Warner never filed suit.
All of the above comes from Cosmic Book News’ own account and the notices it published. Warner Bros. Discovery has not commented publicly on any of it.
The Zack Snyder Dark Knight Returns reports
Which brings us to what the same outlet is running now, and to a distinction worth keeping.
On July 18, at a Frank Miller event at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles, Zack Snyder was asked about adapting The Dark Knight Returns. He answered “when they let us.” That part is on video and multiple outlets picked it up.
Everything after that is Cosmic Book News reporting from unnamed insiders. Over roughly four days this month, the site has published that the project is ready to go, that Jay Oliva is attached, that it’s built for IMAX, that the graphic novel would be adapted as written, that it’s fully storyboarded, and that Snyder wants Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill back.
Snyder’s contribution has been a photo of himself with Affleck set to a Snyder Cut track. That’s a wink, not a confirmation.
Currently, DC Studios has announced nothing. Warner has announced nothing. Paramount has announced nothing. Snyder is not attached to any DC project, and The Dark Knight Returns has no greenlight.
Nothing moves until the merger clears
There’s a concrete reason no offers exist regardless of what anyone wants.
Paramount Skydance’s acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery is frozen. WBD shareholders approved it on April 23, then twelve state attorneys general and the Writers Guild sued in July in Northern California to block it under the Clayton Act.
On July 24, the defendants agreed not to close until five days after a merits ruling or June 1, 2027, whichever comes first. Judge Araceli Martínez-Olguín has since set trial for March 2 through 19, 2027.
The waiting is expensive. Paramount owes Warner Bros. Discovery $7 million for every day past September 30 that the deal stays open, which runs past $1 billion before the trial gavel even comes down.
Paramount chief David Ellison told investors this month the company is open to settling but believes “we’ll win at trial.”
Snyder said “when they let us.” The “they” in that sentence is currently a federal judge in San Francisco, and she isn’t scheduled to start hearing the case for another six and a half months.
Article compiled and edited by Derek Gibbs (entertainment editor) and the Clownfish TV newsroom.
D/REZZED is part of Clownfish TV. For more news, views, and rants on gaming, tech, and pop culture, visit clownfishtv.com. Watch the show on YouTube at @ClownfishTV where new episodes drop daily. Subscribe to the Clownfish TV podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeart, and wherever else you get your podcasts. Sign up for the free newsletter at more.clownfishtv.com.
Hat Tips:
Cosmic Book News, Matt McGloin (July 10 through August 15, 2026), originating outlet for the leak coverage, the published DMCA notices, and every element of the Snyder reporting attributed here to unnamed insiders
Variety (July 2026 and August 2026), verified for the SDCC trailer confirming the Manhunters as season antagonists, the eight-episode order, the premiere-night coverage, and David Ellison’s remarks on the antitrust litigation
IndieWire, Parade, and Inverse (August 16, 2026), verified independently for the premiere’s closing scene, the bullet wound, the missing ring, and the 2016-to-2026 jump
SuperHeroHype (August 16, 2026), verified for Chris Mundy’s IGN comments on the decision to kill Hal in the premiere
Warner Bros. Discovery Form 10-Q (quarter ended June 30, 2026), verified for the April 23 shareholder approval, the July suits by twelve state attorneys general and the Writers Guild, and the July 24 standstill through June 1, 2027
Deadline (August 2026), verified for the March 2-19, 2027 trial dates, Judge Martínez-Olguín’s scheduling order, and the $7 million per day ticking fee beginning after September 30


